WSU looks to end losing streak with air attack

STRUGGLE FOR CONTROL: ASU sophomore Junior Onyeali (center) dives for a sack at Washington State redshirt senior Marshall Lobbestael during the Sun Devils’ home meeting against the Cougars. WSU is relying on its passing game against ASU to snap its five-game losing streak. (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

In a few short weeks, things can drastically change.

Five weeks ago, the Washington State Cougars were 3-1 and appeared to have a chance to play in their first bowl game since 2003.

Then reality hit.

The Cougars (3-6, 1-5 Pac-12) lost their next five games and will have to win their remaining three to qualify for a bowl game. The first challenge will come when the Cougars host the Arizona State Sun Devils (6-3, 4-2 Pac-12) on Saturday night.

While the Cougars will certainly be thrilled to play their first game at Martin Stadium in nearly a month, their hands will be full as they have not had a lot of recent success against the Sun Devils.

Washington State has lost seven straight games to ASU and has not rushed for a touchdown against them since 2005. In the past five meeting between the Sun Devils and Cougars, Washington State has averaged a measly half yard per carry.

“They’ve got outstanding talent and players,” Cougars coach Paul Wulff said. “They’re one of the finer defenses in the league.”

Wulff clearly recognizes the talent in ASU defense, which has forced 27 turnovers so far this season, but he was also complimentary of ASU’s junior quarterback Brock Osweiler.

“He’s really done a great job operating their offense,” Wulff said. “He’s really been consistent. That’s been the difference for them. That’s why they’ve got six wins under their belt.”

If the Cougars are going to remain in contention for a bowl bid and upset the Sun Devils, they will need strong play from senior quarterback Marshall Lobbestael and sophomore wide receiver Marquess Wilson.

“We’re doing everything we can to create some consistency for our offense,” Wulff said. “Ultimately we’ve got to go out and execute. We need to make sure we have some ability to control the clock and move the chains. When we have scoring opportunities we’ve got to execute them.”

Junior running back Carl Winston and freshman running back Rickey Galvin only have eight rushing touchdowns on the season, and the team ranks No. 100 in the country in rushing with just 115 yards per game. That being said, the Cougars will rely on their passing attack against ASU.

Wilson, Lobbestael’s favorite target, leads the team with six receiving touchdowns and has the potential to join multiple top-10 lists against the Sun Devils.

Wilson needs 26 yards to become just the second receiver in school history with multiple 1,000-yard seasons, and 43 yards to become the 10th leading receiver in school history.

The Cougars lack of recent success may be discouraging to fans of Washington State football, but Wulff wants people to realize this team is in a rebuilding process and will be better in the future.

“This was the worst BCS football program in American when I got here,” Wulff said. “We’ve got great young recruiting classes. It’s a young football team that’s got a bright future. It takes time when things are in bad, bad shape. I didn’t make it, but I’m here to fix it.”

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

×