ASU student creates successful record label

(Photo courtesy of Christian Filardo)
(Photo courtesy of Christian Filardo)

Most 20-years-olds can only dream about starting their own record label, but for ASU junior Christian Filardo, this dream is a reality.

Filardo’s label Holy Page Records produces a variety of music both digitally and on cassette, but that is not all Filardo does for his musicians. Filardo also makes the artwork for his clients’ albums, promotes shows and distributes the music internationally.

Filardo was inspired to start Holy Page Records when he saw that record labels were overlooking his friends, whom he considered talented musicians. He decided he would give them the chance they deserved.

"Holy Page was an excuse to get these people out," Filardo said.

However, it is interesting to note why the page is called Holy Page. Filardo's idea was to create a music website that was free from advertising. There would be no outside promotion or marketing on the site.

His efforts have been successful — the site has received more than 50,000 hits. To celebrate the record label’s one-year anniversary next month, Filardo is releasing a compilation mix.

Filardo's love of music does not stop with his site, though. He also has his own experimental-electro solo project, Good Amount, and is part of Secret Tongues, which he dubs as avant-garde band. When asked what he does for the bands, he explained he is a cassette-playing, keyboard-kicking, vocals-supporting addition.

How does Filardo manage to do all this while still being a full-time, degree-seeking student?

“The only reason I do it is because I like it so much,” he said.

His advice for people who are interested in launching their careers is to try to pursue their existing interests.

“If you do something you're already active in, something you're totally involved in, it'll be easy because you can just add a little on," Filardo said.

While Holy Page Records has made a small profit, Filardo hopes to expand it to make it his full-time position. For more information about the record label visit holypage.org.

Reach the reporter at roxana.baldovin@asu.edu.

×