Barrett-Jackson thrills car enthusiasts

Photo courtesy of Barrett-Jackson
Photo courtesy of Barrett-Jackson

Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction is back at WestWorld of Scottsdale for their weeklong exhibition and auction of classic automotive and other car memorabilia.

Some of the more notable automobiles that are up for auction at this year’s event include a Corvette convertible from the movie “Con Air,” and the Cadillac hearse that transported President John F. Kennedy’s body from Parkland Memorial Hospital to Air Force One immediately following his assassination. The personal automobiles of Nicholas Cage, Richard Carpenter and Alice Cooper will be sold, as well.

In the last ten years the auctions have also spread to Palm Beach, Fla., Las Vegas, and most recently to Orange County, Calif. The company has more recently started to sell car insurance for collector cars.

“This is the granddaddy, this is the big one,” said Virginia resident Burt Zwibel, whose 1947 Mercury Woodie will be at tomorrow’s auction.

As the popularity of the event has increased through the years, so have the clientele and the value of the cars. Some of the famous personalities who have visited the auction in past years include Tim Allen, Jay Leno, Alice Cooper and Bret Michaels.

Famous past cars that have been sold at Barrett-Jackson include pace cars, the General Lee, the Batmobile and an unused Ford Mustang meant for the James Bond film “Goldfinger.”

The auctions started in Scottsdale in 1971 by Russ Jackson and Tom Barrett. Since its inception, the auction’s popularity has steadily grown to a massive scale, becoming a popular name for classic car owners all across the country.

The event is mainly held under a 120,000 square foot tent with another smaller tent attached to hold the auction.

At the front of the smaller end of the tent are displays devoted to various types of automotive products, entertainment memorabilia, and other products by companies.  Major companies, such as Ford, Lincoln and Chevrolet have displays for the latest line of cars.

On the other end of the tents houses are the high-end cars that will be sold later in the week.

South Dakota resident Joe Schieffer will be selling his 1973 Chevrolet Camaro this weekend. “I’ve always said that collector cars in the land are things that they don’t make anymore,” he said. “With the stock market the way it is right now, it is a good place to put your money.”

SPEED airs live coverage of the Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction until the end of the event on Jan. 22.

Reach the reporter at taylor.costello@asu.edu

×