The Heisman Trophy Committee dropped the ball this year.

While Robert Griffin III had a tremendous season, he was clearly not as deserving as another candidate.

Montee Ball tied a record I never thought would be touched in Barry Sanders’ 39 total touchdowns scored.

Despite him tying the record in the Rose Bowl — after the Heisman winner had already been named — he still deserved the award after all of his accomplishments this season.

Ball led his team to a better finish than Griffin did, which has always been a huge player in the decision process.

Wisconsin has only had one Heisman award winner since Alan Ameche. That was Ron Dayne.

Many remember Dayne’s failures in the NFL, which include never reaching the 1,000-yard mark in a season after being drafted 11th overall, but he still had a phenomenal college career. Even so, Ball had a much better year in 2011 than Dayne in 1999.

Ball had more rushing touchdowns, 33 to 19. He had more rushing yards, 1,923 to 1,834. He brought another dynamic to the team’s passing game, catching 24 passes for 306 yards, six of which were touchdowns.

The bright side is that Ball is coming back next year and will probably be going back to New York as well.

×