O.A.R. kicks off tour with simple, engaging show

Rock band O.A.R. performs Jan. 25 at the Marquee Theatre in Tempe. (Photo by Lisa Bartoli)

O.A.R. made their first tour stop Wednesday, Jan. 25 at Tempe’s Marquee Theatre in support of their newest album “King” for what turned out to be a fun, energetic show.

After a considerable delay, opening band Parachute took the stage to the enthusiastic response from the crowd. Lead singer Will Anderson showed his impressive vocal chops while the band played a set of fan favorites, including “She (For Liz)” and “Something to Believe In.” The 45-minute set was full of energy and plenty of guitar solos. Bass player Alex Hargrave jumped around the stage most of the time, and Anderson even leaped into the crowd to lead an impromptu sing-along at one point.

However, the most memorable part of Parachute’s set was Kit French’s incredible saxophone solos. The added dimension caught the crowd’s attention as many fans screamed their approval.

After Parachute’s lively set, the audience settled back to wait for O.A.R. The majority of the audience was a little older than the college crowd the venue usually attracts, so the audience was more subdued than most shows.

Surprisingly, the band walked on stage very casually, though the fans were still excited to see them.

During the show, singer Marc Roberge’s on-pitch voice was strong. The rest of the band showed off their well-known talents, including several excellent saxophone solos from Jerry DePizzo.

The audience’s reaction was incredibly positive with voices from the crowd sometimes drowning out Roberge’s singing. This was especially true for “Black Rock,” a fan favorite.

One of the best features of O.A.R.’s time on stage was the simple nature of the setup. The stage was open, which left plenty of room for the band to move around and dance to their music. Instead of creating a theatrical atmosphere, the lights only served to highlight the band. The whole experience definitely put all the focus on the band and the music.

For the relative simplicity of the stage, O.A.R. still managed to engage the crowd for the duration of their set. From younger kids to older adults, the band had a diverse fan base and it appeared as though everyone was having a great time-- dancing and singing along with the band.

Besides the long wait for the show to start, the band kicked off the tour with a great performance.

Reach the reporter at okhiel@asu.edu.

×