With The Golden Globes approaching, movie fans have been discussing which films will be given a mere nod and which will rise to the top. With such a diverse spectrum of talent this year, it is difficult to predict who will be honored.

George Clooney’s “Ides of March” is up for Best Motion Picture – Drama, but the movie he starred in himself may prove to be the better film. “The Descendants,” directed by Alexander Payne, is likely to take the award in this category.

However, Clooney has a better chance of winning in the Best Performance by an Actor – Drama category. Rival Leonardo DiCaprio impressed critics with his role as FBI director and closeted homosexual in “J. Edgar.” While the character-driven film showcased his abilities, Clooney’s stunning talent in “The Descendants” would be hard to top.

In the category Best Performance by an Actress – Drama, Meryl Streep was nominated for her role as Margaret Thatcher in “The Iron Lady.” Although she is expected to be the winner, Viola Davis’ part in “The Help” is nearly, if not as deserving. Glenn Close’s gender-bending role in “Albert Nobbs” also makes her a strong competitor.

With six nominations, “The Artist” received the most attention of the bunch. The feature-length silent film seems to be a shoe-in for Best Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical.

Jean Dujardin’s performance in the film makes him hard to top in the Best Performance by an Actor – Comedy or Musical.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical is a toss-up. Jodie Foster and Kate Winslet are both nominated for their parts in “Carnage.” It seems to come down to these two, although Charlize Theron gave a raw performance in “Young Adult.” Kristin Wiig’s role in “Bridesmaids” was hysterical, but she will probably be overlooked.

The Golden Globe Awards airs Sunday, Jan. 15 on NBC at 5 p.m.

Reach the reporter at roxana.baldovin@asu.edu

×