College students and graduates nationwide have the chance to become the next Steven Spielberg thanks to SeeFlik, an online film festival in search of "the next great filmmaker,” according to its website slogan.

Students and alumni of an accredited film school have the opportunity to win a cash prize and the chance to be showcased to major talent agencies, studios and industry executives.

SeeFlik CEO Larry Meli said the inspiration for the company came from his son, who aspires to succeed in the film industry. SeeFlik is becoming the go-to contest for young aspiring filmmakers nationwide.

Unlike several other well-known film festivals, such as Cannes and Sundance, there is no limit on the number of slots. This allows for all entries to be viewed by the public, Meli said.

ASU alumnus Ryan Steiner is currently in the running for first place with his entry “Cadet.” The film is a 16-minute, crime-based thriller with an artful, suspenseful twist at the end. In second place, ASU film student Nicholas Mihm offers his piece “The Fixer,” a story about a loving man who lost his eyes.

The eligibility requirements are simple; students must currently attend an accredited film school or have graduated after May 1, 2006. The competition is free to enter and applicants can instantly upload their submissions to the site. Films are categorized into 13 genres ranging from comedy to animation.

Voting is divided into two areas, one based on audience votes and the other based on votes from a panel of seven judges. Meli explained that SeeFlick possesses an American Idol aspect that uses formal judges to create a vibrant atmosphere of competition.

The prestigious judging panel includes Suzanne de Passe, who is credited with helping sign The Jackson 5, and Keir Pearson, the screenwriter for "Hotel Rwanda."

The website competition officially began on Sept. 15, 2011 and stopped accepting submissions Jan. 8, 2012. Additionally, there are several miniature events that take place during the entire competition period such as First Voting Round, Potential Top 20 Fan Favorites Interview Videos, Second Voting Round, Top 10 Fan Favorites and Third Voting Round.

Winners will receive a cash prize of $20,000, $7,500, $5,000 or $2,500 and contestants are eligible to win multiple awards. Meli said the cash prizes are funded through an array of advertising and sponsorships. 

Expansion within contest regulations is a possibility in the near future. Suggested alterations include themed competitions, such as a political satire contest during election season. Meli is also considering allowing alumni who have graduated more than five years ago to enter.

Winners will be announced on Feb. 29.

Reach the reporter at Cstarboa@asu.edu

×