Wellness Watering Hole

Photo by Jessica Heigh.
Photo by Jessica Heigh.

Have a problem? There's a prescription for that.

As the pressure of school and jobs, as well as seasonal illnesses creep into the changing seasons, it’s easy to go to the doctor nowadays and be given a pill to fix stress, depression or physical pain. But for those encountering health issues and looking to approach their problems au naturel, an affordable holistic option is available for students and staff through ASU Health Services via the Wellness Care Package, which offers nutritional counseling, massages that cater to acupressure techniques, acupuncture and chiropractic services — all at an affordable price.

Nutrition: The old saying you are what you eat isn’t too far from the truth. Food doesn’t only make you fat or skinny, but the chemical reactions created when certain foods enter your body opposed to others affect your health, physical appearance and mental wellness. Registered dietitian of 20 years, Suzette Kroll leads the nutritional role of the program,and says  “healthy eating is a skill, just as math, physics, business, etc. are skills that ASU students are learning while in school. As with any skill, healthy eating requires first learning about it, then practicing it, and then reinforcing it, in order to get good at it,”

Massages: Nothing beats a long day like a relaxing massage. With two licensed massage therapists on staff, the health center offers both 30- and 50-minute massage options. Alexa Paredes explained her technique as “Acupressure,” where she focuses on the same pressure points in the body like acupuncture, but instead of pricking them with a needle, she works them out via massage, creating a relaxing and educational experience for people who may be under pressure or dealing with an injury.

Acupuncture: This is the most misunderstood practice of the bunch. An acupuncture needle is about the same size as a regular sewing needle and the process of getting pricked is nearly painless. Typically, about 10 spots are chosen throughout the body for the needle to be placed. Acupuncture is believed to restore the flow of energy through the body, creating a body and mind connection and balance. Stefanie Schroeder, who is the medical director for ASU’s student emergency systems, is also ASU’s own acupuncture specialist. “It was the ying to my yang,” the doctor says, describing how her passion for acupuncture balances her career.

Chiropractic: Club Sports Team Physician Dr. Anne Garrison explains the practice perfectly: “Chiropractic treatment is an off-shoot of my own field of osteopathic medicine.  In my opinion, chiropractic care, like osteopathic treatment, can be a helpful adjunct to rehabilitation for short-term acute musculoskeletal injuries.”

Contact the reporter at alsavage@asu.edu

×