Allstar Weekend puts on flirtatious, fun concert

California-based band Allstar Weekend put on a high-energy show at the Queen Creek Performing Arts Center on Wednesday, Feb. 1.

The crowd of teenage girls swooned over the five bands on the bill, each each playing their own style of upbeat pop-rock.

Once Upon a Time, Before You Exit, The After Party, and Hollywood Ending preceded the headlining band. Cover songs dominated the sets leading up to Allstar Weekend.

Before You Exit performed a medley of songs from The Script, including “Breakeven” and “The Man Who Can’t Be Moved.”

Hollywood Ending covered the Jonas Brothers’ “Year 3000” and One Direction’s “What Makes You Beautiful” with Before You Exit, as well.

Allstar Weekend was definitely the highlight of the evening. Fans screamed when singer Zachary Porter, bassist Cameron Quiseng, and drummer Michael Martinez took the stage, bursting right into their first song “All the Way.” The energy never stopped as the band played all of their hits, including “Come Down With Love” and “Blame It On September.”

The streak of covers continued as the band performed “Yeah 3X,” their Punk Goes Pop 4 cover of Chris Brown’s hit. Throughout the set, multicolored lights formed fun patterns on a large banner with the band’s name on it, adding to the lighthearted spirit of the performance.

Another interesting element of their set was the interactive portion. Midway through the performance, the band brought out a wheel with various song titles written on it. The wheel determined which song the band would play, making each show on the tour unique.

For the Queen Creek show, the band covered Train’s “Drops of Jupiter” and later brought up a fan to spin the wheel and played its original song “Journey to the End of My Life.” Porter’s smooth voice made the cover of “Drops of Jupiter” the highlight of the band’s performance.

The rest of the set was a flirtatiously charged party as Porter danced and flirted with the audience while singing fan favorites such as “Dance Forever” and their new single, a sample of Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance With Somebody.” The band closed with a three-song encore.

There was no doubt that the audience enjoyed the set, especially close to the end when Porter removed his leather jacket, eliciting squeals of delight from the crowd. Allstar Weekend definitely knows how to put on a show for a crowd of teenage girls.

Reach the reporter at okhiel@asu.edu.

×