Bennett sets record, injured in loss to Stanford

Kali Bennett walks off the court with a bloody nose in a game against Stanford on Thursday night. The Sun Devils lost 62–49 to the No. 4 Cardinal. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

Stanford showed why they are the top women’s basketball team in the Pac-12 Thursday night.

ASU hung with Stanford for most of the game, but the Cardinal was able to pull away in the second half to win 62–49.

Early in the second half, the Sun Devils went on an incredible run. With six straight baskets by junior guard Michaela Pickens, ASU was able to tie the score at 40.

After a timeout, Stanford went on a 14-0 run and never looked back.

Pickens said the team needed to continue its success after the timeout.

“It kind stopped our momentum a little bit,” Pickens said. “When we got in the huddle, we told ourselves to keep our composure (and) keep doing what we were doing before they called the timeout.”

Stanford looked to their star forwards to close out the game. Sisters senior Nnemkadi Ogwumike and sophomore Chiney Ogwumike finished the game with 22 and 20 points.

They accounted for 42 of Stanford’s 62 points.

Coach Joseph Anders gave credit to the sisters and the rest of the Stanford team for stepping up and finishing the game.

“Their players made plays at that point, and that’s the mark of a great basketball team,” Anders said. “When it’s time to make a play, they find a way to make a play.”

Junior guard Deja Mann said the sisters have incredible talent, but they work hard every possession.

The frontcourt at Wells Fargo Arena looked like a fight between two heavyweights.

ASU senior forward Kali Bennett and Nnemkadi Ogwumike battled the entire game. Bennett defended the paint well with six blocks, breaking the ASU single-season record.

During Stanford’s run, Nnemkadi Ogwumike attacked the hoop and came down hard on Bennett, who injured her back on the play and did not return to the game.

Pickens said the team needed to look forward after one of their players left the game.

“We can’t really focus on one person being down,” Pickens said. “We were sad about it, but it’s still a game and we kind of have to come back and play hard. Janae (Fulcher) did come in and she put up some good minutes.”

Anders said before the game the key to beating Stanford is to limit their second chance opportunities.

The Cardinal won the offensive rebounding battle 20-7 and had 16 second-chance points.

“You make them take a difficult shot and then they get an offensive rebound,” Anders said. “The offensive rebound number of 20 (is) far too many to expect an upset of a very good basketball team.”

In the Sun Devils’ past several games, the offensive force for the team has been senior forward Kimberly Brandon.

Thursday, Brandon only scored four points.

Anders said the Ogwumike sisters did a good job frustrating Brandon all night, and it had a major impact in the ball game.

Anders said ASU needs to forget about this game and focus on Cal.

“It’s easy to forget it’s gone,” Anders said. “The biggest thing that team must do is learn from what we just encountered.”

Reach the reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu

×