‘Cabaret’ performance depicts romance, scandal

(Photo courtesy of Basement Collaborative Theater)

The Lyric Opera Theatre Student Workshop at ASU welcomes audiences to meet the Kit Kat Club in its marvelous production of “Cabaret.”

Set in Berlin, Germany a few months before the start of the Nazi regime, the musical depicts the provocative lifestyle of club dancer Sally Bowles (played by Michelle Chin), who has a so-called change of heart upon meeting American journalist Clifford Bradshaw (Jared West). “Cabaret” showcases various sensual scandals and characters, including strippers, prostitution, homosexuality and even a ménage-a-trois.

Bradshaw initially appears to be the standby protagonist who flowed along with the plot. His dynamic energy poured out when he discovers Sally is pregnant with his child. This emotion is soon followed with Bradshaw’s sincere heartbreak in saying goodbye to his muse and to that temporary, exciting life without responsibilities.

Chin, who plays Sally’s part, must be a performer who stages flirtatiousness well enough to allure the audiences, but not so much as to enough detract them. Her strength relies on her perfectly shameless dancing and masterful German accent, though these aspects of her performance overshadowed her vocal abilities.

Bradshaw’s landlord, Fraulein Schneider (Barbara McBain), and her pursuer, Herr Schultz (Dan L. Stroud), made a perfect elderly couple. Unfortunately, they are forced to shroud their affection because of Herr’s Jewish upbringing. Their duet, one of the only love ballads in the show, is so indisputably moving it makes theatregoers grab onto their own sweetheart.

Although the band played impeccable background music, it seemed the dancers and ensemble struggled to keep up vocally. One of the well-known numbers in the musical, “Maybe This Time,” is regrettably absent from this production.

The most impressive character of “Cabaret” is the emcee, played by Eddie Maldonado. In one of his scenes he delivers a metaphorical message of falling in love with a gorilla despite its appearance, which is then followed by a laugh-inducing dance. Maldonado’s performance is the definition of a triple threat.

“The emcee’s promiscuity is empowering … the icing on the cake. The role appealed to me because there aren't boundaries. It's limitless,” Maldonado said about his eccentric role.

“Cabaret” leaves the audience not only amused, but also wondering what will be of Sally’s return to the Kit Kat Club. Despite the questions, everyone can walk away from this show appreciating that life is truly a cabaret.

The musical continues Feb. 3-5 at the Evelyn Smith Music Theatre. Tickets for the performance are $8.

Reach the reporter at mkthomp5@asu.edu

×