Couple-friendly films for Valentine's Day viewing

(Photo courtesy of Rollins-Joffe Production)

Over the past few years, the romantic movie genre maligned itself by littering theaters with absent-minded films. The ones that are done right provide relatable insights into the lives of others. Here is a list of romantic comedies through the decades that couples can enjoy this Valentine’s Day.

“Annie Hall” (1977)

Before “500 Days of Summer” showcased the ultimate failed relationship, Woody Allen made that same story better 30 years ago. From the opening monologue to the balcony episode to the lobster scene, there are countless classic moments in the film.

The plot delivers piercing insight into social dynamics, personal quirks and commentary on what it takes to make a relationship work (as well as fail). This is among Woody Allen’s finest work.

“Romancing the Stone” (1984)

The Indiana Jones-eque film centers on Joan Wilder’s (Kathleen Turner) journey to Columbia to deliver a treasure map that will free her sister. Along the way, she meets adventurer Jack T. Colton (Michael Douglas) who tags along for the ride. The thrilling romance holds up remarkably well with the perfect balance of romantic and action scenes.

“Say Anything...” (1989)

Cameron Crowe’s tale of nervous courtship and first love for Lloyd (John Cusack) and Diane (Ione Skye) is remarkably intimate. The film captures the unknown horizon that teenage lovers face before college, which is sure to be a relatable premise for most students.

“French Kiss” (1995)

On her way to reclaim her former fiancé in France, Kate (Meg Ryan) meets a sneaky Frenchman named Luc (Kevin Kline). The two strike a nice comedic rhythm and chemistry together when both to travel to help win Kate's fiancé back (though Luc initially has other motives). It is a convincing and subtly funny movie about two opposites who gradually realize what it means to be compatible.

“The Wedding Singer” (1998)

Robbie (Adam Sandler) and Julia (Drew Barrymore) are perfect for each other. The only problem is that they are not aware of it and are both engaged to losers. Obligatory complications ensue, and the film culminates with the defining airplane scene that is one of the most gentlest moments Sandler has ever played on film.

“High Fidelity” (2000)

In the beginning of High Fidelity, Rob’s (John Cusack) girlfriend breaks up with him. This begins an introspective journey by reviewing his list of "Top 5 Breakups" to figure out what he has done wrong. The film portrays richly textured characters and personable discernments in relationships that movies today would not have the courage to touch upon.

“Going The Distance” (2010)

Some movies avert high expectations by relying on the creation of brainless characters. This film, though, avoids contrivance and is a breath of fresh air for a genre that has suffered from overuse of typical plot structures. The characters, played by Justin Long and Drew Barrymore display smart roles, which is a rare quality in the genre today.

Other movies that make for an entertaining Valentine’s Day viewing are “Chances Are” (1988), “Dogfight” (1991), “Jerry Maguire” (1996), “Kate & Leopold” (2001) and “Punch Drunk Love” (2002).

Reach the reporter at tccoste1@asu.edu

×