Wins and losses have no bearing on the lives of regular people, but athletes always intrigue sports fans nonetheless.

Like so many other football fans, I spent my weekend glued to the television as I watched the NFL Scouting Combine on NFL Network.

Some may argue watching athletes compete in drills, bench press weights and run a 40-yard dash while arguing about tenths and hundredths of a second is a waste of time.

Is the combine the most captivating and entertaining thing on television? No. However, there is something about athletic feats and achievements that seems to captivate viewers and fans.

Although players either hurt or improve their draft stock, there are no actual winners or losers in the combine. Still, watching the stars of tomorrow compete in ways most of us can only dream of is a spectacle.

There will always be something unique about watching someone run 40 yards in just under four and a half seconds or seeing someone bench press 225 pounds 30 times.

Other than a change in emotion or a bet, the combine, just like regular season NFL games, has no real impact on someone’s life, but athletes still seem to impress and captivate the general public.

×