You can’t tell me I live at the North Pole when there’s a cactus outside my window. You can’t tell me I’m eating an apple when it’s really a banana. The NFL can’t tell me last weekend’s Pro Bowl was legitimate football when it’s been a glorified pick-up game for years now.

Dear commissioner Roger Goodell, it’s time to mix things up and implement one or two common-sense revisions into next year’s contest:

- Make the Pro Bowl a flag-football affair. It’s blatantly obvious that nearly every player is not competing at anywhere close to full speed. Advertising the Pro Bowl as a genuine game is an insult to the fan base. Fans watch enough violent collisions every Sunday during the regular season to know these all-stars aren’t giving anywhere close to 100 percent.

[Video: 2012 Pro Bowl Highlights]

- Eliminate the game altogether and stick to non-contact competitions. Understandably, players want to avoid injury at all costs during this meaningless match. So, in lieu of the game, an array of skills competitions should be the weekend’s focus. This would be a lot more fun for fans to watch than players loafing around for four quarters.

Come on, Roger. Flex that muscle of yours and fix the floundering Pro Bowl.

×