An estimated 111.3 million people watched Super Bowl XLVI, according to the Nielsen Company.

Less people watched the sixth annual DirecTV Celebrity Beach Bowl game, but it may have been just as entertaining.

Team Palladia, coached by Detroit Lions’ quarterback Matthew Stafford, defeated the Cam Newton-coached Team Spike 34–21, but this game was not about winners or losers.

Instead it was focused upon celebrities like Snoop Dogg, Deion Sanders, Hope Solo, Kate Upton, Barry Sanders and others all competing in the sand under one roof.

Aside from Terrell Owens, who was seemingly trying to impress NFL scouts and get back into the league with his intense effort, the event was more memorable for its blunders than its athletic performances.

Warren Moon may have thrown four touchdown passes, but I will remember Deion Sanders getting his flag pulled by Jordin Sparks, Owens wearing a jersey that read “TOuchdown” on the back, and Snoop Dogg performing a provocative touchdown celebration en route to winning the MVP award and being doused with Gatorade.

Celebrity events such as the beach bowl or the annual softball game during baseball season may not garner a lot of attention, and frankly they don’t deserve any, but they are entertaining for light-hearted fans capable of sacrificing fundamentals for a blooper reel.

×