The considerable buzz and media coverage surrounding the U.K. television show “Downton Abbey” late last year caused such a fracas that the series was acknowledged by the Guinness World Records as garnering the “highest critical review ratings for a TV show.”

The show follows the lives of an aristocratic family and its staff in the early 20th century, which hardly seems like the kind of series that would capture the attention of modern audiences who usually gravitate toward more current programming.

What is the appeal is of “Downton Abbey”? It is neither the first example of a British period drama, nor is it the first weekly television series of its kind.

Surprisingly, the time period of the series contributes interest to the material. The British aristocracy system is foreign enough of a system that the cogs of such an operation is of interest to Americans.

Details of the characters choices and lifestyle display controversial traditions. The eldest Crawley daughter, Mary (Michelle Dockery), cannot inherit the family’s household because of her gender, the head of the property, Lord Robert Crawley (Hugh Bonneville), owns dozen of servants working directly for him, yet has no power over the estate. Anna (Joanne Froggatt), one of the maids, is chastised for wanting to take a secretary course. These inherently thought-provoking plots grab viewers’ attention.

The main appeal lies in the large ensemble cast, most of which are likable though some are coarse and narrow-minded. The show provides much opportunity to develop these characters.

Each episode devotes time to an individual subplot and then alternates to the next set of characters in the following episode.

The cleverest aspect of the show is that the storyline does not have the regular, run of the mill subplots — they are relatable issues, yet also representative of the time.

One of the daughters, Sybil (Jessica Brown-Findlay) exemplifies a progressive, woman suffragist of the time, who is persistent in helping and advocating for others.

On the other hand, her sister Mary questions her role in society. The two represent the conservative values of the older generation that started to grind against the younger generation’s desire to break away from the norm during the 1910s.

The show feels honest, as the content is never watered down. Yet it also remains inoffensive. This is when Abbey is at its best — a snapshot of an transitioning to the modern world we live in today.

Reach the reporter at tccoste1@asu.edu

×