Legislator suggests removing 'medical marijuana' as legal term

Rep. Bob Robson, R-Chandler, is petitioning to have the phrase "medical marijuana" removed from legal documents because he believes marijuana is not proven to have any medical properties. (Photo by Adrian Juarez)

Rep. Bob Robson, R-Chandler, suggested the term "medical marijuana" be removed from all legal terminology when he explained his vote in favor of House Bill 2035.

The bill passed in the House this week and seeks to discourage medical professionals from prescribing medical marijuana for anything other than a debilitating condition. Robson said while he was in favor of the bill, he was against using the term “medical marijuana.”

"It's just one of those times where I didn't think the terminology should be used in the bill," Robson said.

Robson said despite voters' choice to implement the idea of medical marijuana, there have been no federal statutes recognizing medical marijuana as a legal term.

"We're already tacitly committing this body to recognizing something that doesn't really exist," he said during the session.

Arizona voters approved the Arizona Medical Marijuana Act in November 2010, giving legitimacy to the use of medical marijuana in the case of "debilitating medical conditions." The bill also defines requirements for medical marijuana dispensaries, cardholders and caregivers.

The act does not include non-patient recreational use of marijuana — the legal difference between medical use and non-medical use.

Following a stall after Gov. Jan Brewer requested federal clarification on the legality of the law, the Arizona Department of Health Services is proceeding with the implementation of a program for medical marijuana.

Robson said he has found nothing to prove the medical benefits of marijuana.

"There's no specification between medical marijuana and regular marijuana," he said. "There's no such thing as medical marijuana."

The Arizona chapter of the Marijuana Policy Project, a marijuana lobbying organization, was involved in the campaign for Arizona to adopt the Arizona Medical Marijuana Act.

Marijuana Policy Project spokesman Morgan Fox said claiming medical marijuana didn't exist was “ridiculous.”

He said legislators acting as scientific authorities can be disingenuous and dangerous.

“Medical marijuana is a decision that should be left up to a patient and their doctor,” Fox said.

The Marijuana Policy Project website cites several studies that indicate medical use for conditions such as cancer, Crohn's disease and anorexia, he said.

“There are numerous studies that show the medical benefits of marijuana and more are being conducted every day,” Fox said.

National Organization of Marijuana Laws at ASU spokesman Alan Proctor said the act exists to determine the difference between medical and recreational marijuana.

"It was meant to ensure that patients who use marijuana as patients will not be considered criminals," Proctor said.

He said the medical aspect of a substance or activity comes from research on the manner by which the substance alleviates symptoms or aids in a healthy lifestyle.

“We can use alcohol as a perfect example for something that can be used medically and was used medically at one point,” Proctor said. “But there's a fine line between what's medical and what isn't, and that's the same thing I see for medical marijuana.”

Reach the reporter at dgrobmei@asu.edu

×