In response to Kharli Mandeville’s Feb. 23 article, "Tuition bill passes committee despite strong opposition"

Is the Arizona State Legislature really this out of touch with its constituents?  Students are already suffering the financial burdens from the state's budget cuts combined with our ever-increasing tuition from last year and now they want even more money.  This new bill is ridiculous and I am outraged that it made it through committee and is on its way to the floor.  They expect us to pay $2,000 without scholarships or grants?  This is an unreasonable and unfounded request to ask of the average college student.  For students struggling to make ends meet and pay all their bills, this is a real set back.  I guess our representatives think we can just magically pull money out of our ass or take out another loan to add on to our debt.  I also don't understand how the bill gives an exemption to students living on campus, but not to veterans.  Representative Kavanagh thinks "some veterans are extremely wealthy adults."  Well some generals and other high-ranking officers might be wealthy but all the veterans I know are struggling just as much as everyone else out there.  Even though the representative is a veteran himself, he is still not in favor of giving them an exemption.  What is wrong with this guy?  I know ASA and USG did their best to oppose this bill, but I feel like students really don't have any power to change the things that affect us most.  Even if you got the whole university to protest at the Capitol, the arrogant state legislators will still insist that they know best.  The cries of students for lower or even capped tuition has gone on unheard for years.  If the state legislators are serious about helping Arizona's economy, they need to invest in higher education, not cripple it.

John Webster

Political science junior

×