Live and Otherwise: The Spectrum of Love

Kate Seredy's "Hanging up the Valentines." Photo from allposters.com.

The ever-commercial-laden institution of Valentine’s Day fast approaches with all the subtlety of a derailed freight train; the idea of love has been everywhere the eye can see. The hearts, the pink confections, the overall message l’amour have been jumping out from every retail enterprise in a five-mile radius. However, they seem to be missing out on the most interesting aspect of the whole deal. The spectrum of love is a varied thing. There are its highs (and its crushing lows).

Beginning with the happy, fresh-new-relationship period and then the angry arguments that arise years down the line, things can either be very good or very bad and only time will tell what route the journey will take. The same thing can be said of love songs. There are those happy love songs that make us want to add a soundtrack to those precious moments of intimacy. Then, there are those darker impulses that make us crave the tortured songs of remorse and regret that symbolize the pain we may feel from the disintegration of a relationship. This wide spectrum of emotional response makes itself a part of every relationship we decide to embark upon.  Some bands seem to understand this better than others, having felt the two ends of the relationship stick. So this Valentine’s Day I leave you with some selections that really touch base on what that wild game of love is all about.

Ben Folds, the poetic connoisseur with a piano, is a master at creating a pool of emotions. One of his most beautiful and romantic selections, “The Luckiest,” is a terrific display of the emotions from a person who  truly cherishes the relationship they have built. With haunting piano melodies and gorgeous lyrics about having found the love that would last through the ages, this song definitely strikes a chord in the love department. Of course the multitalented Folds has also undertaken the opposite: “B*****s ain’t Shit”.  A cover of a Dr. Dre tune, this song is pure anger, all of it aimed at the opposite sex. Talk about a top speed turnaround, and romance kicked out of the equation…

The next selection hails from the dance-punk deviants that are LCD Soundsystem. One of their most amorous admissions is a lovely gem entitled “All I Want.” Its upbeat tempo makes it a great tune for romantic comedies galore.  The sweet undertones of the song convey a feeling of bittersweet love and the longing that results from missing that special someone.  Contrast that with “Tribulations,” which is about all of the games and manipulation that ensnare many a love-struck victim.

Death Cab for Cutie is another ensemble that has experienced the ups and downs of love. One of their best heartbreakingly poignant songs is about an individual who has messed things up and now can barely see meaning within their life in the aftermath. “A Lack of Color” is a simple yet fascinating song about how strongly love can take a hold on your life and skew your perspective on everything it touches. But while Death Cab is good at digging into those raw wounds, they also can capture the whimsy of that first fall into love. The track “Stay Young, Go Dancing” very nicely relays it musically with all of the earnest hopefulness one could hope to ascertain.  So take these lessons to heart, no matter what they may be.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

×