New sports bar to open on Mill Avenue

Charlie Maxwell, owner of Devil’s Den on Mill Avenue and University Street, wants his new bar and grill to be a hangout spot for ASU students. (Photo by Jenn Allen)

Devil’s Den, a bar and grill on the northeast corner of Mill Avenue and University Street, will replace DiVerti Bar and Grill and is scheduled to open this Super Bowl Sunday.

DiVerti closed in December and the location’s new occupant, Devil’s Den owner Charlie Maxwell, said he wants his bar to be a place for Sun Devils to hang out.

“Devil’s Den aims to market a comfortable atmosphere, good food for a great price and a friendly staff so that people keep coming back,” he said.

The location’s past tenants include Ruby Tuesday’s, Sucker Punch Sally’s and DiVerti Bar and Grill.

Property owner Mike Frost said it is a misconception that the location is the reason for the businesses not surviving.

Frost has developed seven properties in downtown Tempe.

“This is one of my most successful properties,” he said.

Ruby Tuesday’s occupied the property for 14 years before moving to Tempe Marketplace in 2009 to expand.

Sucker Punch Sally’s opened in early 2010 and closed within six months.

DiVerti Bar and Grill picked up the location next and was open for a year before closing in late 2011. Both suffered from lack of steady clientele, Frost said.

“Most unsuccessful businesses are due to poor planning,” Frost said. “I have great confidence in Devil’s Den and the new owner, Charlie. I’m looking forward to it.”

Devil’s Den will have ASU sport broadcasts, memorabilia of famous alumni showcased on the wall, and an overall hometown feel, Maxwell said.

“Anyone who has ASU or Arizona pride should come in,” he said. “We’ll have a variety of food and drink options starting from the $2-10 range along with being able to get your 25-cent wings.”

Though the restaurant plans to open for the Super Bowl, most corporate restaurants like Buffalo Wild Wings or Hooters see a bigger turnout for game day, finance junior Tyler Daniels said.

The bigger chains like to overcharge for very standard service and food, where sometimes you can get a great deal along with the same entertainment at a local place, Daniels said.

“I’m pretty stoked for this bar to open,” he said. “There are plenty of sports bars to choose from, but I've never been to one with a Sun Devil theme on Mill Avenue.”

Supporting local business is an important thing to do in this economy, Daniels said.

“It's never a bad thing to have another spot to grab some wings before or during a game,” he said.

Maxwell said Devil’s Den will offer good food for a good price along with entertainment that should attract a crowd. Celebrity appearances, UFC fights and all major sports will be on over 35 HDTVs, he said.

Reach the reporter at gqolson@asu.edu

Correction: An earlier version of this article misstated how long Ruby Tuesday's occupied the building on University Drive and Mill Avenue.

×