Piece of Craft: The Versatility of Chalkboard Paint

Paint a pendant using chalkboard paint to create a unique necklace. Photo from the Henry Happened blog.

In the past year or so, chalkboard paint has been appearing everywhere.  First, it seemed like it only appeared in the home, perhaps painted on a wall to post the daily menu or messages, or on a table for drawings and lists.  But more and more often I have been seeing chalkboard paint in a variety of crafts, both home décor-related and non-related.  There are some really good ideas I’ve seen, read about, or heard about that I want you to share with you all, so you can release your inner chalkboard artist.

On the blog, Henry Happened, I came across a really awesome DIY chalkboard necklace.  This craft is very reminiscent of a traditional locket-type necklace, but with a twist.  Instead of the locket, all you need is a flat pendant that can be sprayed with the paint.  Then, instead of putting a picture inside your pendant, you can write a message or draw a picture -- whatever you feel describes you that day.  It’s very easy to make and all the necessities for this craft are listed on the Henry Happened blog.

Chalkboard paint can also be used to make signs.  If you’re having a dinner party, you can use it to make place settings for your table.  You can also paint your plates using chalkboard paint and write messages on the rim.  Another cool idea is to paint coasters and then write various messages on them, such as the person’s name that is using the coaster.  This could be especially useful for a dinner party if you aren’t sure how you want to make your place settings.

For the college student struggling to keep track of assignments, a sign painted with chalkboard paint (or a part of your wall) could be very useful.  This could also be nice in the kitchen for grocery or to-do lists. Another great idea for school supplies (and this can also be applied to the kitchen as well), is to gather mason jars, cans, or whatever else is a cylinder shape and paint your cans and label them with whatever they are holding (pens, pencils, paintbrushes, sugar, granola, rice etc). These ideas all work so great!

You can buy chalkboard paint in a variety of ways. You can buy it in a can (like traditional paint), as spray paint, or even a marker!  Try whatever works best for you.  It will vary depending on the size of your project.

If you have any questions, comments, crafts to submit, etc. feel free to shoot me an e-mail at fbreisbl@asu.edu. Keep on crafting!

×