Piece of Craft: Yarn-Wrapped Anything

A yarn-wrapped letter. Photo from sarahortega.com.

This week, I’m bringing you a super-easy craft idea that can be used in a variety of situations: yarn wrapping. All you need is your favorite color yarn, some glue, and the object you are planning to wrap and you are ready to go.

The first time I saw this idea was on the blog Jen Loves Kev, (as well as Sarah Ortega’s blog) where there is a DIY tutorial on yarn-wrapped letters. This is a really cool concept for a home-décor project, as you can place the letters spelling out a word on a table surrounded with framed pictures. Or, choose to make your initials and place them on a bookshelf in a similar manner. Jen Loves Kev chose to create her own letters using cardboard and tape. This is an easy project in itself, but if you’d rather just do the yarn wrapping, you can purchase large letters at a craft store such as Michaels.

This same idea can be used on vases.  You can use an old glass soda, wine, beer or other alcohol bottle to be the base for your vase.  Then wrap your bottle with yarn and you will have a great vase that’s perfect for any table. Other things that would be the perfect item to be wrapped in yarn are lamps (obviously stay away from light bulbs here!), sandal straps, belts and other items that can be easily wrapped.

When you are trying to decide what glue to use, stick to using a hot glue gun when possible.  All you need is a few dabs of glue on the ends and the yarn should stick quite nicely.

If you have any questions or comments, as always, feel free to e-mail me at fbreisbl@asu.edu.

×