Police Beat: Feb. 9

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Wednesday:

• A 26-year-old Phoenix man was arrested at the 900 block of East Apache Boulevard Monday on suspicion of third degree burglary, according to a police report. A Tempe Police officer saw the man breaking into a vehicle and as the man began to drive away, the officer stopped him, police reported. Two witnesses near the scene said they saw the man enter the vehicle, according to the report. The man told police the vehicle did not belong to him, police reported. Police searched the man and found a pink earring hanging in his ear, which the vehicle’s owner said matched the one she left in the vehicle, police reported.The man was arrested, booked into Tempe City Jail and held to see a judge, according to the report.
  • A 20-year-old Avondale man and a 20-year-old Sun City man were arrested at the 600 block of South Ash Avenue Sunday on suspicion of consuming alcohol under age and marijuana and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report. A Tempe Police bicycle patrolman saw the men sitting in the Avondale man’s Toyota Corolla while the Avondale man was trying to light a glass, multi-colored pipe, police reported. When the officer knocked on the man’s window, he became distraught and attempted to hide the pipe between his seat and the center console before rolling down the window, according to the report.The officer smelled marijuana coming from inside the vehicle and arrested the men, police reported.The officer searched the vehicle and found the pipe on the car floor and a pill bottle that contained marijuana, police reported. The Avondale man said the items belonged to him and he typically kept them in his car, according to the report.

The Sun City man said the marijuana belonged to both of them and that a mutual friend had given it to them, police reported.

The men said they were at a party shortly before parking to smoke and had consumed alcohol, according to the report.

The men were arrested, transported to Tempe City Jail for booking and released pending drug charges, police reported.

Reports compiled by Shawn Raymundo. Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu

×