New show offers refreshing, meaningful television

(Image courtesy of NBC)
(Image courtesy of NBC)

Films and television series have dealt with Broadway before, but very few show it quite the same as “Smash.”

The new television series tells the story of the behind-the-scenes process while creating a Broadway musical about the life of Marilyn Monroe and other personnel such as the songwriters, director, producers and actors.

The first episode introduces the characters by showing how the musical’s cast and crew come together. From the beginning, there is friction between the various personalities. Tom (Christian Borle), one of the songwriters, quickly clashes with the musical’s ruthless director, Derek (Jack Davenport). There are also the makings of a rivalry between the two actresses who are in the running to play Monroe.

The two actresses who are vying to portray the iconic role are the earthy newcomer, Karen (Katharine McPhee), and the seasoned pro, Ivy (Megan Hilty). From the sneak peek of the upcoming season, this rivalry looks as though as it will be the driving force in the storyline for the first season.

Other actresses in the show include Debra Messing as one of the songwriters for the musical and Anjelica Huston, as Eileen, the show’s producer.

One of the few disappointing aspects in the first episode is the lack of spotlight time many talented actors get individually - with the exception of the gravitas that McPhee and Davenport bring to their characters.

The show creates a nice visual aesthetic, such as the scene when the crew observes Karen or Ivy audition or when the two walk into the studio to compete for the same role. The show seems to host more original music than Fox’s “Glee” usually does.

Those who are looking for a show similar to “Glee” will not be disappointed in “Smash,” unless they expect equally absurd characters and situations. There are a few aspects of the new show that resemble “Glee,” with Messing’s character being comparable to Will Schuester’s charismatic personality. Yet the characters in “Smash” are far more meaningful and believable, and if they’re given proper care by the series’ writers, they will be far more interesting than those on “Glee.”

The only glaring problem with the show is its limited storyline with the Monroe competition. If the show’s writers find a way to shape the series into a unique showbiz story, this can shape into a promising series.

The first episode airs Monday, Feb. 6 at 9 p.m. on NBC.

Reach the reporter at tccoste1@asu.edu

×