Since it debuted in 2002, “American Idol” has remained a television mainstay. Viewers across the country tune in regularly each season to watch and take part in the process of selecting a new “idol” — beginning with the infamous train-wreck auditions that commence each season, all the way to the grand finale where their own voice is heard via text message vote.

“American Idol” recently made its way back to television sets for an eleventh season, posing the question to viewers around the nation: When is this all going to end?

Perhaps viewers are starting to get bored with the contest. Entertainment Weekly reported another show, CBS’ “The Big Bang Theory,” beat ‘Idol’ for the No. 1 spot on the Thursday night primetime lineup. “For the first time in five years, another TV series has beaten ‘American Idol outright in the Nielsen ratings to win the night,” James Hibberd wrote.

“And when it finally happened, the margin wasn’t small in the adult demo: ‘Big Bang’ had 16.1 million viewers and a 5.2 rating in the adult demo, while ‘Idol had 15.4 million and a 4.4 rating.”

These numbers are huge, considering the pull that “American Idol” used to hold over other shows.

The show has met other profitable ends through the sale of season soundtracks, iTunes singles and the nationwide summer tour contestants embark on after each season ends.

But all of the hype “American Idol” generated years ago is long gone.

The hilarious-yet-annoying antics of Paula Abdul and biting criticism of Simon Cowell has since been replaced by (of all people) Steven Tyler and the blandest diva of them all: Jennifer Lopez.

And it seems like the contestants this season, and every season since 2008, have failed to make a huge public splash.

It was a good medium to jumpstart the careers of a few budding stars, but “Idol” has since failed to produce any singers who shine as brightly.

Now with other talent search shows like “The Voice” and “The X Factor,” there are too many contestants in too many shows to keep track of. It is hard to distinguish a candidate on one show from another candidate on another show.

MTV News columnist Gil Kaufman writes, “‘Idol’ has lost me, perhaps for good. The bottom line is that the show just feels like it's on autopilot from the bored looks on the faces of celebrity judges Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez to the predictable plotlines and not-so-clever editing tricks intended to keep our interest up through the early rounds.”

It's time for the “Idol” producers to take the high road and know when to quit. It was good while it lasted. I remember religiously tuning in weekly as a youngster to see Kelly Clarkson sing circles around her competition. But now “American Idol” is nothing more than an annoying back up if there is absolutely nothing else to watch on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday nights.

"Idol" has, indeed, overstayed its welcome on our television sets.

Reach the columnist at jermac@asu.edu

×