Turf Talk: Plummeting Doubt in Student Pride

Thomas and Elam rocking their trucker hats. Photo by the author, Brendan Capria.

Arizona State University wants Sun Devils to have that “Sun Devil Experience.” This is why on Fridays you see students and faculty rocking gold shirts and, in spurts, sporting neon trucker hats and paper cutouts of James Harden’s beard.

Looking out over the Tempe Campus from the Student Recreation Center in her Sun Devil swag, Stefani Plummer, the assistant director of campus recreation, says she can see this revitalization of pride. This “Sun Devil Experience” she stresses is the main initiative. Athletics is partial; game day is just another way for it to shine.

“I think it’s exciting because we’re seeing Sun Devil pride come out in so many ways,” Plummer says. “I hope (the students) continue to shine as Sun Devils. We’re in the midst of changing a culture.”

Plummer not only spotlights Sun Devil culture in athletics; off the field festivities, even academics, are key parts as well.  This is where the staff and student representatives serve the university.

Committees — for faculty, students and the community — try to cover every facet of college life. No matter the event, though, all of these committees and contributors such as PAB or RHA (to name a few) communicate and work together to maximize their total initiative: “Spirit, Pride and Tradition.”

Looking into the athletic system, the Student Spirit Club has tried to engage students in games. The club works in collaboration with NCAA athletics, whether it is promotion, marketing or just making the in-game experience insane. Black-out games are scheduled through the NCAA and, once concrete, the club looks to further hype the game.

It would make no sense to remarket what ASU’s athletic department already markets, Plummer says. The spirit club covers the days athletics does not and promotes them differently. This is the reason for stripe-outs, Dayglow, afros and tie-dye… this is the reason for incentives.

Plummer says she believes that increased attendance for these nights is not solely from the merchandise but from the hype that goes with it. For that increase, she thanks the student representatives for getting a sense of the student body’s general opinion.

“We (the organization) rely on the students to know what they (student body) want,” Plummer said. “I’m not hip. Our part (the club) is student driven.”

When asked about Dayglow at the men’s basketball game earlier this month, juniors Mandi Thomas and Robyn Elam say that college nights help. Wholly, though, it is not the sole reason why students attend the games.

“Well, look, there’s people here. It helps,” they say the night of the basketball game. “We go to all the home games though. We always cheer.”

Then again, it is free apparel for students. Scott Callahan, an economics senior and trumpet player in ASU’s marching band, says that “almost half his stuff came from promotional stuff.” In addition, there are about 25 percent less people at games without any promotion, Callahan says.

“Yeah, never offer free stuff to college kids,” Callahan says.

Then again, whether it is Devilpalooza, or any college night for that matter, this free merchandise speaks for itself. Students want to rock the pitchfork; they want to represent their school. They will be labeled as a Sun Devil.

To make this work, Plummer says it takes a lot of communication between all organizations through all four campuses.

On a smaller scale, Callahan plays in conjunction with the Student Spirit Club. Whether he is blowing ‘70s music through his trumpet because of the themed night or just heckling the opposing coach for not “abiding by the line,” the entire community — Arizona residents, students, staff, organizations — comes together. They become engaged -- what Plummer defines as the “The Sun Devil Experience.”

“Students are beginning to grasp the pride in ASU,” Plummer says. “For every football game there were people camping out. We didn’t give stuff out every game.”

Plummer uses the giveaway merchandise to get people excited about putting on that gold shirt on every Friday. She wants to instill pride in the entire student body.

For next year, the Student Spirit Club is currently discussing ways to make GameDay more interactive for students. They look at a new year with a new football coach and a new, incoming undergraduate class to show what the Sun Devil life should be like.

“We’re trying to get Sun Devils to have the Sun Devil experience,” Plummer says. “It’s a real big initiative. We’re creating a culture.”

You can contact me at bcapria@asu.edu.

×