Young the Giant to rock Crescent Ballroom

Photo courtesy of Young the Giant
Photo courtesy of Young the Giant

Young the Giant is not just another rock band. Since debuting its self-titled LP last January, the indie sensation has been strutting their sound across the globe. The infectious music video for their single "My Body" trended across the globe in 2011, racking up millions of YouTube views.

Known for their energy-infused performances, Young the Giant maintains their intensity night after night as they tour the country for the second time in two years. Despite the lack of a recent or upcoming album, Young the Giant sold out both shows on Feb. 16-17 at Phoenix’s Crescent Ballroom for its spring tour.

With media outlets such as MTV and Billboard predicting big things for their future, the Irvine rockers make sure not to forget the past.

After spending their beginning years together under the moniker "The Jakes," the band decided to switch the name before its major label debut.

Drummer François Comtois said of the name change, "It was five years from the very start, but in those five years there were lineup changes. Really only two of the members of the band were in the original band. It wasn't entirely our thing.”

Of the lessons learned and challenges faced on the road, Comtois said, “The past year and a half of touring has been mostly spent doing support tours. The first national tour we went on was opening for minus the bear. Being open to new experiences and adventures is the key. There are a lot of people who turn to booze or drugs to numb the homesickness ... you learn to try and hang back.”

In light of the praise after their breakout year, Comtois added, “We're just so hungry to get back in the studio and create something new.” The band is currently working with acclaimed producer Joe Chiccarelli of The White Stripes and My Morning Jacket.

After the success of the last album, many critics have high expectations for the young rockers moving forward.

On Young the Giant's success, Comtois concluded, “Everything that happens for us is a happy surprise.”

Reach the reporter at mbobman@asu.edu

×