ASU expands to downtown Chandler

On the corner of Chicago Street and Delaware Street in Chandler is the location of the future ASU Chandler campus, which was approved for a 50-year lease and will host teaching and research programs from the College of Technology and Innovation. (Photo by Adrian Juarez)

ASU will expand its College of Technology and Innovation to a building expected to be completed this fall in downtown Chandler.

The 30,000-square-foot building will house engineering studios and classroom space for students in the engineering program.

College of Technology and Innovation Dean Mitzi Montoya said the building will offer some engineering program courses and a connection to the technology industry.

"It's an excellent opportunity to expand our facility and increase our connections to local industry," Montoya said. "That's really the hallmark for the Polytechnic campus and the College of Technology and Innovation."

She said the building’s location will connect engineering students to Chandler companies such as Intel, and directly work on projects with local industry.

"Our programs all have a deep component embedded in the curriculum of industry engagement," Montoya said. "We will be actively partnering with many Chandler companies to work on real projects for them and embed that in our curriculum."

She said the building will also offer science, technology, engineering and math programs geared toward middle and high school students to enhance their curriculum.

University planner Richard Stanleysaid the building will give students the opportunity to be creatively competitive.

"It has more teaching space for all the students in the programs and it offers convenient opportunity for businesses in Chandler to work with students in the college," Stanley said.

The building may branch out to other programs and potentially offer certificate programs in the future, Stanley said.

Chandler Mayor Jay Tibshraeny said the building is beneficial to the Chandler community as well as ASU students.

"Anytime you're inserting that many bodies into the downtown area is a big plus," Tibshraeny said. "Businesses and restaurants there will be getting business. It's definitely going to help temporary housing downtown."

Tibshraeny said the city of Chandler's standing as the center for technology in Arizona offers students experience beyond the classroom.

"Fostering those relationships with the large technology companies that we have here is going to help (the students') prospects when they graduate and go on to do great things," he said.

Tibshraeny said ASU's expansion makes it a more easily accessible school and caters to students living in other areas of Arizona.

"I'm a firm believer in competition," he said. "Certain schools going to different parts of the state and different parts of the valley fosters that competition to make everybody better."

Tibshraeny said he's excited to have ASU as part of the downtown Chandler area.

"(Students) are coming here into our downtown, into our core that's really taking off, and coming with core curriculum that is in essence what Chandler is all about, and that is technology," he said.

Reach the reporter at dgrobmei@asu.edu

×