Broke's the New Black: Knot Your Typical Scarf

A great headscarf. Photo from keikolynn.com.

If I had to estimate, I would say I own about 30 scarves. I wear them year-round either tucked into down jackets, wrapped around my purse handle or laying loosely around my shoulders in spring. I can’t get enough of them. Effortless and always cute, they give a playful vibe to an otherwise carefree look.

Scarves can be used in countless ways. Literally. They can be found around your neck in infinite knots, tied around the waist, used as sarongs, looped in your hair or in a bow on your bag. Scarves are an essential accessory because of their versatility. If you’re having a bad hair day, throw your hair in a bun and use a small silk scarf as a headband. The thickness will cover loose flyaway strands. This tutorial describes how to accomplish this look in no time at all.

Letting a scarf just hang around your neck is too easy. Try one of these 50 knots from The Knot Library to shake it up. If you prefer step-by-step instructions, try 9Gag’s 6 Ways to Tie a Scarf for multiple tutorials.

Originally made for cold weather, scarves can get warm if tied too close around the neck. Loosen up your knots to allow some breathing room. As the temperature rises, pick scarves made of light materials like silk, polyester or mesh. If planning to put one in your hair or as a bow on your purse, stick to the small, square-shaped scarves.

Another reason to love scarves: they’re cheap and sold everywhere.

For questions or comments, email me at amlarso2@asu.edu or follow me @soamandawaslike. 

×