Devil Dish: March 13

Maybe it’s just that I’m a sucker for anything that has to do with sports, but I have yet to see one ESPN Films documentary that hasn’t blown me away.

The Sunday night premiere of “The Announcement,” the story of Magic Johnson’s battle to come to grips with HIV, continued that trend for me.

“The Announcement” is powerful, gripping and most importantly, honest. Magic takes us firsthand into what it was like to hear the news that he was HIV positive and how different his life was after that moment. It’s the profile of a man who went from the highest of highs as an NBA superstar to the lowest of lows as an individual who, like many others living with HIV at the time, felt ostracized because of his condition.

Yet, most importantly, this documentary shows the guts Magic displayed in the face of HIV. He could have thrown in the towel and let the virus consume him, but instead he did the opposite. He became the face of the HIV/AIDS movement. He worked to dispel the myths and stereotypes surrounding the virus. And through it all, he just kept smiling.

Watch this documentary. It’s beautiful. It’s courageous. And it just might leave you reaching for the tissues.

×

This website uses cookies to make your expierence better and easier. By using this website you consent to our use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie Policy.