In the new HBO series “Luck,” Nick Nolte plays a veteran horse trainer at the Santa Anita racetrack.

In the show, Nolte’s character, Walter Smith, trains a young super horse named Gettin’ Up Morning.

Nolte shows some emotional acting skills when his character breaks down and cries when he talks about Gettin’ Up Morning’s father, Delphi.

Smith explains to a jockey that Delphi was killed right before his eyes. He sees training Gettin’ Up Morning as a chance to fulfill Delphi’s legacy.

A similar situation is currently talking place in the real world of horse racing.

Michael Matz was the trainer of Barbaro, a horse that dominated the Kentucky Derby in 2006. Barbaro was put down in 2007 after injuring his leg in the Preakness Stakes.

If Barbaro had not been injured, he would have had a great chance to win the Triple Crown.

Like Smith, Matz has a chance to regain glory with his new horse, Union Rags.

The horse is the favorite to win the Derby after wining the Fountain of Youth at Gulfstream Park in Florida.

Time will tell whether Gettin’ Up Morning and Union Rags will be in the winner’s circle at the end of both the TV and horseracing seasons.

×