It would appear that the dust has settled. The New York Jets officially added (second-string) quarterback Tim Tebow to their roster Monday in the wake of the Denver Broncos signing prized stallion Peyton Manning.

After a wild tsunami of contractual obligations and sport pundits pontificating, Tebow is a Jet. While the initial reaction was overwhelmingly negative from commentators, teammates and even fans, some were left confused and unsure as to what to make of it all.

From the sound of things, including a phone interview with Jets reporters after Tebow’s press conference, Mark Sanchez, the current starting Jets quarterback, seemed a little surprised but supportive of his new teammate.

After surviving a brief, though ultimately moot pursuit in acquiring then free agent Peyton Manning, Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum and owner Woody Johnson extended Sanchez’s contract, only to make headlines of near-biblical proportions (pun intended) two weeks later.

To be fair, the “shock and awe” among those with opinions and allegiances from all across the spectrum is understandable. However, as the saying goes, “Once a Jet, always a Jet.” Having been a Jets fan since my boyhood hero Boomer Esiason was traded in 1993, tuning-out the negative chatter regarding the supreme acquisition of Tebow is and should (hopefully) be the only focus of Jets coaches, players and, most importantly, fans.

Staying positive hasn’t been an easy trait to nurture as a Jets fan, even for those occasional fair weather supporters.

It was joked that Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Namath sold his soul to the devil to back up his “guarantee” to win Super Bowl III. The franchise and its fan base has been paying the price ever since, or so they say.

Until now.

To be clear, my belief in a new Jets nation occurred prior to the Tebow deal. While the Brett Favre era was short-lived, it marked the first significant step forward since having Bill Parcells as head coach meant greatness would once again know the power of Jet Green.

The hiring of Rex Ryan and the drafting of Sanchez in 2009 were two more steps in the right direction. Then came wide receiver Santonio Holmes and now, Tim Tebow.

Naysayers can have their objections to Ryan’s mouth (often misrepresented) and Sanchez’s statistics (also misrepresented), but the truth is that the defense has been one of the top performers in the league since Ryan’s involvement. Also, statistically speaking, Sanchez has improved.

In key areas like yardage, touchdowns and even the dreaded completion percentage, Sanchez has gotten better each and every year. Is he destined for the Hall of Fame? Not yet, but don’t count him, or even the Jets out just yet. Unlike Miami or Jacksonville, players want to play there.

Sanchez is and has always been a team player. The New York Jets are, more than ever, a true team of players with various yet uniquely amazing talents. The defense is and will remain vicious and versatile. The offense now under new and improved direction via Tony Sparano, is at early estimations willing to invest 20 plays of unpredictable Tebow-mania.

For fans, would-be fans or even staunch haters of the men in green, this of all the years is the one to embrace, believe, if not respect, the near endless (and positive) possibilities of the new, New York Jets.

Reach the columnist at jbfortne@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on FacebookClick here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×