Tennis prepares for tough challenge at Stanford, Cal

Leighann Sahagun hits the ball in a meet against Sacramento State on March 2. Sahagun and the Sun Devils are prepared to face their toughest competition of the season this weekend. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

Facing their toughest competition of the season, the ASU women’s tennis team plays Stanford and California this weekend.

Coach Sheila McInerney said the team is ready to be tested.

“It’s going to be challenging, but fun and exciting too,” she said. “Tennis players want that challenge.”

Friday, the Sun Devils (10–3, 2–2 Pac-12) will face No. 4 Stanford in Palo Alto, Calif.

Stanford shut out UNLV on Wednesday to improve their record to 11–0 overall.

“Stanford is a premier club,” McInerney said. “We haven’t beaten them in all of my years of coaching.”

On Saturday, ASU heads to Berkeley to take on No. 9 California.

The Golden Bears (13–4, 7–0 Pac-12) have strung together seven straight dual match victories, including three shutouts.

To say the Sun Devils have their work cut out for them is an understatement.

“To win, we have to play lights out in both matches,” McInerney said. “It’s not easy coming in and winning. Not only are they great teams, but they have great players.”

McInerney said that despite a smaller roster, her team is ready for the contest.

Senior Sianna Simmons won’t play because of a knee injury from last weekend.

“Right now we’re not sure about doubles,” McInerney said. “It will be a game-day decision about the teams.”

Though this is a team tournament, McInerney said the team members are looking forward to the individual tests.

“Each girl is looking for a head-on match with some of the best players in the country,” she said. “Jacqueline (Cako) will face her first true test this season … and Michelle at No. 2 will face a highly seeded player.”

For freshmen Leighann Sahagun and Joanna Smith, this is a unique challenge because they haven’t played at this level before, McInerney said.

“For freshmen, there really isn’t any difference in preparation, but there is a different level of excitement and anticipation,” she said.

After this weekend, the competition doesn’t get any easier.

The Sun Devils head to Los Angeles on April 6 and 7 to play UCLA and USC, two other top tier tennis teams.

“We’re not going to get a tougher stretch than this,” McInerney said. “Four teams in the top eight … It’s not easy, but we’re absolutely going to play our best.”

Reach the reporter at dkmcinty@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook. Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×