‘Wrath of the Titans’ a visual spectacle that lacks feeling

Courtesy of Warner Bros. Entertainment and Legendary Pictures

Pitchforks: 2.5/5

Starring: Sam Worthington, Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes

Rated: PG-13

Release: March 30, 2012

As the monsters get bigger, the storyline gets smaller.

The mythology-inspired “Wrath of the Titans” may offer attention-grabbing visuals and stunts, but in showcasing ferociously salivating creatures, skull-crushing action, fiery winged beasts, a lava-spouting god and a literally hellish terrain, the necessary attention to other aspects of the movie is forgotten.

After having defeated the deadly seamonster, the Kraken, the demigod Perseus (Sam Worthington) promises to live a humble life as a fisherman with his son. A decade later, though, Perseus’s father Zeus (Liam Neeson) asks for his help in restraining the Titans, containing Kronos in the underworld of Tartarus and restoring the natural order.

Though Perseus initially resists, he realizes his strength is needed when he witnesses the unleashed turmoil in his town and learns that the vengeful god Hades (Ralph Fiennes) and god of war Ares (Édgar Ramírez) have captured Zeus to siphon his powers.

With the help of the seemingly selfish, yet delightfully mischievous demigod Agenor (Toby Kebbell), warrior queen Andromeda (Rosamund Pike) and fallen god Hephaestus (Bill Nighy), Perseus courageously embarks on the dangerous trek into Tartarus to protect the world from the unfurling chaos.

The film addresses themes that people connect with: duty, protection, loyalty and sacrifice. It also centers on ones that people crave, including adventure and journey.

The combination of these elements should result in strong characters. However, the bland dialogue doesn’t encourage the story to live up to its potential. Various scenes of gnashing, clawing, stabbing and wrestling only go so far.

If part of the acute attention and precise care put into the stunning animation had been used for the dialogue, the characters would not be the stagnant representations they are.

Neeson and Fiennes fans will be pleased with their performances, but not impressed. Unfortunately, the script keeps the actors from truly embodying their capabilities.

Pike, as the female lead, could have also brought in a more interesting dynamic, but she remains stuck in a formulaic role that doesn’t embrace the strength of her character.

Though viewers will want to feel for the heroic figures, the interactions and relationships remain undeveloped.

The visual sensationalism of the film is pretty inspiring, but once it ends there is little to resonate with the viewer, and the admiration of the action sequences eventually fades

Only so many monsters can be slain before it becomes passé.

Reach the reporter at mgrichar@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook. Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×