Broke's the New Black: First Class Fashion

TITANIC 3D
Rose's style is representative of the era. Photo from Paramount Pictures.

Fashion has evolved ever-so-drastically over the centuries. From bouffant dresses with corset tops so tight it bruised ribs to hats so large it was silly, fashion from prior eras is mesmerizing, especially that of the “gilded age” in the early twentieth century. Although this blog won’t be able to help you dress for this weekend, it will give you an idea of where fashion comes from. Fashion history is essential to know when predicting future trends, not to mention it’s fascinating in itself. I chose the Titanic era since TITANIC in 3-D was recently released!

The Titanic, the infamous transatlantic voyage with a more-than-tragic ending, is the perfect scene for examining fashion of this era. Fashion in the early twentieth century, approximately 1912, belonged mostly to the upper class since the dressing was so outrageous only the rich could afford it. This was known as the “La Belle Époque Edwardian Era” in fashion. Fashion-era.com describes “it was an epoch of beautiful clothes and the peak of luxury living for a select few -- the very rich and the very privileged through birth.”

Women wore full-figured hourglass dresses often accentuating the bust and hips. They complimented these fine dresses with feathered hats, parasols, gloves and expensive bags. Rose, of the movie, displays this style of dress flawlessly with her evening gowns, gloves and large hats.

The boat itself was a fashion marvel worthy to be reveled. The-Titanic.com explains “The gentlemen, and especially the ladies travelling first class, tried to honour their surroundings through their fashionable dress.”

TITANIC was released on its 100th Anniversary on Wednesday, April 4th. Visit www.titanicmovie.com for more information.

For comments or questions, email me at amlarso2@asu.edu or follow me @soamandawaslike.

×