Broke's the New Black: Phoenix Art Museum

Chanel dresses from the 1920s. Photo from phxart.org.

Although many fashionistas of the world would consider fashion a form of art, many others would never correlate the two. Luckily for us, The Phoenix Art Museum definitely agrees and bridges the gap between these two creatively artistic industries. The have a permanent fashion wing, known as the Ellman Fashion Design Gallery, that houses new exhibits every few months.

“It houses important fashions from the 18th to late 20th centuries and emphasizes major American designers of the 20th century including Adrian, Norell, Galanos, and Claire McCardell; and European Designers such as Balenciaga, Chanel, Dior, and Yves Saint Laurent,” says the museum’s website.

Phoenix Art Museum explains how important fashion is to the art world in that it correlates directly with American and European social and economic history. Fashion design is an indicator of culture and the current mindset of its people. Fashion is simply wearable art.

The fashion exhibits have more than 4,500 garments and accessories on display to the public. They are currently featuring “The Sea,” an exhibit that focuses on sea expeditions and other fashion regarding the big blue.

“This exhibition explores the far-reaching influence of the romance of the sea on fashion design,” says the website. “Sea legends of mermaids and undersea odysseys from Neptune to Captain Nemo merge reality and myth.”

For more information about the museum or current exhibits, visit phxart.org.

I’ll be sure to try and attend this seemingly amazing exhibit (if finals will spare me any mercy) before it leaves July 15. Check my twitter feed for continuous fashion updates and my review of the exhibit!

For comments or questions, email me at amlarso2@asu.edu or follow me @soamandawaslike. 

×