It’s been difficult to question the decision making of the Diamondbacks’ front office lately.

After consecutive seasons in the division cellar in ‘09 and ‘10, the Arizona brass has put together a winning ballclub under manager Kirk Gibson. The “Snakes” captured the National League West division crown last year and are favored to be a postseason contender once again in 2012.

But where’s the love for Gerardo Parra?

It’s not too often that a player is presented with his Gold Glove Award during Opening Day pre-game ceremonies and then isn’t in the starting lineup. Parra was riding the pine because Jason Kubel, whom Arizona signed to a two-year, $15 million contract this offseason, was playing left field instead.

While it remains to be seen exactly how Gibson will platoon Kubel and Parra, signing Kubel was the wrong move.

A key figure in last season’s playoff run, Parra, 25, is a .282 career hitter with speed, outstanding defensive skills and a ceiling that still hasn’t been reached. Kubel, 30, only tops Parra in terms of power with a .271 career average but has no speed and mediocre outfield skills.

At the very least, left field should be Parra’s spot to lose to Kubel and not vice versa.

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook. Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×