Gammage unveils next year's Broadway season

ASU Gammage announced the 2012-2013 season April 2. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Regarded as one of the most popular attractions in Arizona, it was no surprise that audiences packed ASU Gammage to await the announcement of the upcoming “Progressive Broadway Across America” season.

Next season holds a variety of productions compiled of unique musical numbers, family friendly story lines and beloved Broadway performers.  From Tony award-winning shows such as “Anything Goes” (Nov. 13-18) and “Memphis” (March 5-10) to the classic tales “Peter Pan” (Jan 8-13) and “Beauty and the Beast” (April 9-14), every show brings a distinguishing element to the stage that will evoke both nostalgia and lasting approval from its audiences.

Gammage executive director Colleen Jennings-Roggensack hosted the evening’s presentation. As each production was revealed, she offered a brief description of the show.

Jennings-Roggensack, the only Tony Award voter in Arizona, is in charge of selecting which musicals come to Gammage. Once the Tony Awards take place in June, she travels to New York to watch anywhere from 40-60 plays and musicals to see which would be best for Arizona audiences.

“We choose shows that bring new audiences, appeal to the community and also we choose some unusual performances,” Jennings-Roggensack said.

Monday night’s event also brought out several cast members to perform celebrated numbers from “Memphis” and “Flashdance” (April 30-May 5) as well as introduced a new component exclusive to Gammage. Instead of a traditional playbill, every show will now have a “Gambill” to celebrate the theater’s approaching 50th birthday. Gambills will include descriptions of the featured musical, special interviews and everything else that is seen in a typical playbill.

The biggest reactions surfaced when the national tours of “War Horse” (Feb. 5-10) and special engagement “Les Misérables” (Sept. 11-16) were announced, the theater the filled with screams and applauds of approval.

Aside from the common premise of Tony award-winning selections, Jennings-Roggensack commented on another theme seen throughout the 2012-2013 season.

“Landmark is important. Gammage is a one-of-a-kind landmark, and that notion is what ties everything together,” she said. “Also coming-of-age themes and the idea of bringing cartoons to life.”

Renowned choreographer Sergio Trujillo is a reoccurring name for the upcoming season as well. His work will be seen in three of the season’s musicals: “Flashdance,” “Memphis” and “The Addams Family” (Dec. 11-16).

The season will include a Christmas special featuring Donny and Marie Osmond. “Donny & Marie — Christmas in Arizona” will be showing Nov. 27-Dec. 2. The 2012-2013 season will close with the comedy smash “Sister Act” (June 25-30).

Local Broadway lovers will be awestruck with the incredible lineup for next season. To subscribe or buy tickets for the 2012-2013 season, visit asugammage.com.

Reach the reporter at mkthomp5@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook. Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×