Piece of Craft: Light Up with a Paper Lamp

An example of a paper lamp shade. Photo from Meg Allan Cole's website.

While you’re studying for finals, writing your final papers, and doing all your last-minute projects, make sure your working room of choice is adequately stocked with all your finals materials. This includes pencils, pens, highlighters, your laptop computer, enough snacks and energy drinks to last an entire month, and adequate lighting. Maybe it’s just me, but I tend to work in conditions that are too dark for really intense studying (maybe that’s why I take so many Facebook breaks?) But quite honestly, if you’re looking to make sure you are able to accomplish enough work in your allotted time, you should definitely set up an area (or station yourself in an area) that has good, bright lights.

A way to have fun with this and make a cool, mid-finals craft is to work on paper lamp shades.  When I first heard about making lampshades out of paper, it scared me a little bit because I thought that, depending on how long the lamp was on, there may be a fire hazard on your hands. As it turns out, as long as you create your lampshade in a certain way, you should be fine and not have any issues. Also, you need to use a low-watt light bulb, such as an LED, for this particular craft.

This specific tutorial is created by Meg Allan Cole, inspired by the works of artist Tord Boontje.  She does a variety of other paper crafts that can be found all over YouTube or on other websites. For this particular craft, you will need multi-colored paper, scissors, glue (honestly, just a strong craft bonding glue stick will work, but whatever you feel comfortable with), a light and a light bulb (remember low watt!) This is one of the types of lampshades that needs a hanging light, so one of those standing lamps with the twistable lamp arms would work, or a light that is hanging from the ceiling is preferable.

Another idea for a lampshade is to take a plain white shade and be crafty with it.  Spray it with spray paint, or create an abstract pattern using acrylic paint.  You can also use decoupage and make a cool design with it as well.

Feel free to e-mail me with any questions or comments at fbreisbl@asu.edu.

×