The Internet has become a magnificent tool that allows us to get things done at a faster pace. And it’s not just limited to conducting business or using social media. One of the other great things you can use the Internet for is shopping.

Not only do people buy clothes online they also buy furniture, jewelry, electronics or even groceries. From clothes to appliances, the Internet has it all. If you can think it, you can buy it online.

The appeal of online shopping has definitely increased in the last couple of years. Forrester Research Inc. projected that U.S. consumers will spend $327 billion shopping online in 2016.

In 2010, the average online shopper spent $186.33 on Black Friday — a shopping event that was once exclusive to brick-and-mortar shopping, but has seen a recent increase in online participants from retailers and shopaholics alike.

So what makes online shopping more appealing than shopping in person?

Although I’ll be the first to say that I enjoy going to the mall and buying new clothes, sometimes online shopping is just a better alternative. When you shop online, you have the entire retail world at your fingertips in the comfort of your own home. You don’t have to worry about driving to mall and finding time in your day to go shopping. If you have a denim impulse at 2 a.m., all you have to do is turn on your computer.

Another advantage of shopping online is the ability to browse multiple stores simultaneously. You can have multiple windows open and compare prices. Odds are you will find the best deal when you are shopping online. You also don’t have to deal with crowds and travelling from store to store. This luxury can be especially helpful during holidays. Everything you need is just a click away.

Sometimes shoppers can also find great deals online that they just can’t find in stores. Many stores have a greater selection online than they do on the shelves. Some retailers even have entire online-only collections that they do not offer in their storefronts. If you search hard enough, you can often find unique retailers and stores that you may not find at a traditional mall. Websites like Amazon offer great deals on books, clothes, music and more. Everything you need is right there on one website.

One of the downfalls associated with shopping online is the cost of shipping and time spent waiting for your product to arrive. Luckily many stores will offer free shipping if you purchase a certain amount of products and some retailers may offer free shipping regardless of what you purchase. You also have the option to receive your items overnight at a more expensive rate. Sometimes, however, paying $7 for shipping outweighs the drive to the store.

Even though online shopping is a great alternative, nothing can ever replace the feeling of going to the mall with your friends, trying on clothes and carrying around your latest purchases. However, online shopping gets the job done quickly, which sometimes can replace all the joys of in-store shopping.

Reach the columnist at agales@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on FacebookClick here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×