Simmons out for season as tennis prepares for Utah, Colorado

Sianna Simmons returns a volley in the ASU Thunderbird Invitational on Nov. 4, 2011. Simmons, who is out with a torn ACL, will miss the remainder of the season. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

After two weekends without a win, the ASU women’s tennis team is back at home and looking for redemption.

The No. 30 Sun Devils will face Utah and the Colorado this weekend.

“It’s been a tough week,” coach Sheila McInerney said. “We’re short-handed without Sianna (Simmons) and Jacqueline (Cako), so we’ve been focusing on match play.”

The last time the Sun Devils played, they lost to UCLA and USC after being hampered by injuries. Both Simmons and Cako couldn’t finish their Friday matches and didn’t start Sunday, forcing ASU to forfeit points. Simmons tore her ACL and will be out for the rest of the season.

“You hate to see that happen to anyone, but especially a senior with three matches left,” McInerney said. “Sianna’s been very healthy, and this is a tough pill to swallow.”

Cako’s hamstring is less serious, and McInerney believes she will be ready to play in a few weeks.

Freshman Clare Frye, who hasn’t played a match for the Sun Devils, will fill in for the injured players. The injuries, as well as the strong USC team, ultimately led to the ASU loss. Despite the discouraging final score, a bright spot was senior Michelle Brycki, who filled in for Cako in the No. 1 spot.

Brycki defeated USC freshman No. 15 Zoë Scandalis after winning the tiebreaker in the first set 7–6 (2) and taking the second set 6–4.

The Sun Devils returned to Tempe bruised, but not devastated, and spent the week playing singles and doubles matches. After playing teams ranked in the top ten for two weeks straight, Utah and Colorado appear less intimidating, but McInerney said she’s still worried.

“I’d rather play UCLA or Stanford with a full team than Colorado without some girls,” McInerney said. “We just have to play with what we’re dealt, but I’m certainly not feeling at ease.”

Utah senior Anastasia Putilina was named the Pac-12 Women’s Tennis Player of the Week on April 9. Putilina upset No. 20 Washington senior Denise Dy, 6–2, 6–7 (5), 6–2, at the No. 1 singles position to clinch the Utes’ first conference win last Saturday.

Colorado hasn’t won a Pac-12 conference match this season, and was recently shut out by Oregon.

“I know Colorado’s coach, and he does a good job,” McInerney said. “It’s going to be formidable to beat them.”

Play will start Friday at 1:30 p.m. against Utah and Saturday at 12:00 p.m. against Colorado at the Whiteman Tennis Center.

“As we near the end of the season, everyone just has to focus on staying strong,” McInerney said. “There’s absolutely no margin for error.”

Reach the reporter at dkmcinty@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook. Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×