Horrifying thriller offers laughable gore, suspense

Courtesy of Mutant Enemy
Courtesy of Mutant Enemy

Pitchforks: 3/5

Rated: R

Starring: Richard Jenkins, Bradley Whitford

Release date: April 13

For those who find themselves fascinated at the sight of gushing blood and relatively uncensored gore, “The Cabin in the Woods” is precisely the film to see.

Despite its simple title, “The Cabin in the Woods” proves to be one of the most complex of tales.

Timed perfectly with the eerie release date on Friday the 13th, this film provides as much guts, repulsion and suspense as its superstitiously horrifying release date is associated with.

Beyond the stabbing, killing, torturing and dismantling, there is indeed a storyline to this film. An innocent group of teenagers decide to venture into the woods for a getaway weekend. However, their fate is predetermined, and their experiences at the cabin drag them — literally — into a nightmare.

Throughout the entirety of the film are mass amounts of goopy, appalling and grotesque sights. Despite the honest intent to serve as a part of the plotline, the level of gore seems to mask the true purpose of the plot during certain scenes.

Luckily, the humor, flirtations and realistic character development save the over-the-top grossness of the film.

The relaxing component created by Marty’s (Fran Kranz) stoner-boy humor, Jules (Anna Hutchison) and Curt’s (Chris Hemsworth) promiscuity, and the awkwardly cute tension between Dana (Kristen Connolly) and Holden (Jesse Williams) act as a soothing element in contrast to the absurdities in the remainder of the plotline.

Two corrupt laboratory scientists who completely control the horrors inflicted on the traveling teenagers offer some of the much-needed laughter.

The light-hearted conversation that introduces Sitterson (Richard Jenkins) and Hadley (Bradley Whitford) almost acts as the calm before the storm of the remaining plotline.

Although it is initially confusing, these two characters play the most influential roles in the film, as they are both literally and figuratively in control of the plotline.

In a science fiction manner, these two men sit behind a control panel and hand-select the tortures that the clueless teenagers will face during their cabin getaway.

This idea of laboratory workers who manipulate the course of events is somewhat similar to Disney’s “The Even Stevens Movie.” In this film, the entire Stevens family believes they are on a complimentary trip to a distant island, but in reality are victims of a television stunt. Though the two movies are on entirely opposite ends of the spectrum, they depict somewhat similar ideas.

Because the audience is aware of this unnatural control, the intensity of the carnage diminishes at parts. The audience becomes expectant of the terrors that will soon occur — alleviating them of true suspense that many other horror-thriller movies have.

As a result of the teenagers’ relatable qualities, the adventurous group keeps the unrealistic and unnatural elements of the film at a relatively moderate level.

Although each character adds to the generalized group role of “stereotypical teenagers,” Marty stands out as the most influential both in relieving humor and also in the furthering of the plot.

Remaining true to the film’s promise, this film will force viewers to “think again” when they believe they know what happens next as the end takes significant turns.

Reach the reporter at ejnicho1@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook. Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×