Last week, Pope Benedict XVI criticized the Leadership Conference of Women Religious, an association that represents the approximately 55,000 nuns in the United States. The pope denounced the organization for not speaking out against same-sex marriage, women’s ordination and abortion, The Seattle Times reported.

The Vatican said the organization is partaking in “radical feminism,” and is spending too much time “promoting issues of social justice.”

Excuse me if this sounds radical or — God forbid — feminist, but what else are nuns supposed to be doing besides promoting issues of social justice? Additionally, what has happened if nuns, the epitome of “chaste, religious women,” are being criticized for being too feminist?

Seattle Times columnist Nicole Brodeur makes a good point. The so-called “War on Women” has been the topic of much conversation in the last year. From Rush Limbaugh’s inappropriate comments about Georgetown student Sandra Fluke to the ever-controversial topics of contraception and abortion, the national conversation on women’s rights has been unavoidable.

And while many argue the war on women is just a political scheme, there’s no denying its existence now. Women known for their selfless dedication to God and for their service to the people of the world, who embody many of the values of Catholics and Republicans alike, are being attacked.

I find it abominable that women are still being criticized for speaking their mind (or in this case, being too silent) and that feminism is a brand of shame in this day and age. I find it even more detestable that the Catholic Church is attacking a sex that has done so much for it as an institution.

Mother Theresa, a woman whose self-sacrifice helped thousands of sick, poverty-stricken children and families, will always remain a symbol of the Catholic Church.

Saint Thekla, who defied her parent’s insistence to get married to instead preach the Gospel and follow Jesus, is a role model for Catholics and Christians alike. Saint Thekla faced execution for defying her parents and becoming a Christian. What would the Catholic Church be like without fearless women like Saint Thekla?

Rev. Alberto Cutie speaks on the issue in The Contra Costa Times, “They say women can’t be priests because Jesus only called men to be apostles. But the women close to Jesus were the first witnesses of the resurrection. When the men were afraid and hidden, the women went to the tomb and said ‘Jesus has risen!’ If Easter is the most important part of Christianity, the first to proclaim the message were women. Who could make more effective preachers?”

The Vatican’s crackdown on nuns and refusal to accept the ordination of women is detestable. It’s time the Catholic Church swallows its pride, accepts the influence of religious women throughout history and adapts to the 21st century.

Reach the columnist at eeeaton@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook. Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×