American Indian Studies graduate program debuts this fall

A Master’s program in research or fieldwork-based American Indian Studies will begin this fall.

pottery
American Indian artworkcan be found at Hayden Library. Starting this fall, ASU will offer a research or fieldwork-based Master's program in American Indian studies.(Photo by Shawn Raymundo)

A new program starting in fall 2012 will provide students with the option to earn a research or fieldwork-based master's degree in American Indian Studies.

Ten students in the program's first cohort will take 30 credit hours’ worth of Native American education classes, including a thesis or practicum.

John Tippeconnic, the director of ASU's American Indian Studies foundation, said the program was important to have, especially in Arizona. The state is home to 22 different tribal nations and about a quarter of all land in the state is on tribal reservations or other tribal lands.

"Anyone in Arizona, we feel, should have some basic knowledge about American Indian people in the state," Tippeconnic said. "Our program provides them with that knowledge and also provides deeper knowledge for individuals that might want to work with tribes and work within communities."

Students will take nine core classes, nine classes as part of their concentration, six electives and six credits for their thesis or practicum.

Students who intend to go on to earn a doctorate would work on a research project and compose a thesis, while students who want to work in tribal communities would intern with organizations that serve tribes or otherwise work with an American Indian group.

Tippeconnic said students who chose the second option could return to work within their own community or a different one.

The entire program's faculty is American Indian, which Tippeconnic said enhances classes for students. However, he said the program’s intent is to serve both native and non-native students.

"I want to emphasize that the program is open to any student at ASU who might want to pursue a master’s degree in American Indian studies," Tippeconnic said. "It's open to anyone who wants to learn more about American Indian culture, about policy, about tribal government."

He expects the program to grow during the next few years. The first cohort will consist of 10 students, but he expects to have 20 in the second cohort.

Prospective students can continue to apply until June 15. Tippeconnic said he saw much interest from students at ASU and at other schools that do not offer similar programs.

He said they looked forward to expanding the program here and potentially to other schools around the country.

“Our mission is to be the best American Indian Studies program students have as an option,” Tippeconnic said. “This is helping us get there.”

Reach the reporter at julia.shumway@asu.edu or follow @JMShumway on Twitter.

×