Softball advances to Women’s College World Series

Hillary Bach throws a pitch on March 15 during the Judi Garman Classic. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

While facing elimination, the ASU softball team beat the University of Louisiana at Lafayette twice on Friday night to advance to their 10th Women’s College World Series.

“First thing I will say is how proud I am of these ladies,” ASU coach Clint Myers said. “They played with great heart and showed great character. We stood out there 24 hours ago and talked to them about if anything has been true all season long, it is to never give in, never die, never roll over, as long as we got a breath we have a chance. Great teams figure out a way to win.”

After a disappointing 6-0 loss Thursday night, the Sun Devils’ offense exploded for eight home runs in Friday’s 9-2 and 8-0 victories.

Sophomore outfielder Alix Johnson and junior second baseman Sam Parlich each homered twice to lead the ASU offense while senior pitcher Hillary Bach and sophomore pitcher Dallas Escobedo kept the Ragin Cajuns offense in check.

Bach pitched a complete game in the 9-2 win, which forced the third game of the series. After taking the loss Thursday, Escobedo rebounded Friday night and only allowed one ULL base runner to reach third base in the six-inning shut out.

The Sun Devils will now travel to Oklahoma City for the third time in four years as they try to repeat as national championships.

×