Action sports deserve more attention, recognition

Will action sports ever be regarded as America’s pastime?

It would be naive to believe sports such as skateboarding, BMX bike riding, surfing or motocross should be standing on the same pedestal as baseball, football, basketball, or even NASCAR for that matter, considering the traditional sports popularity in our current culture, but why?

What’s so wrong with saying skateboarding or BMX, is a legitimate sport and should be respected as much as any other? The people competing in these sports are hardworking, determined athletes. Why isn’t our country printing out brackets and pushing an office pool on employees who know nothing about the professional skaters in the competition series? What if there was a seeding system so you can pick the Bucknell’s of skateboarding?

I suppose there are a number of reasons why none of this happens in our traditional sport loving culture. The biggest reasons are most likely popularity and uninformed impressions.

I was recently at a neighborhood town hall meeting lead by a Phoenix council member where residents voiced concerns about crime and troubled areas within their district. The council member assured residents the police were working on moving out the bad elements and increasing the safety. Some of the bad elements were drug dealers and “skateboarders.”

Skaters have a bad reputation. The impressions most people have about them are often unjust and uninformed. There is a bad apple in every bunch, I’m not going to deny that, but to say skaters are a bad element within a neighborhood is avoiding the problem.

Skaters and BMX riders look to urban landscapes for inspiration. Obstacles found on public and private property were never intended to be ridden by a bike or used for skateboarding. These athletes don’t look at stairs and handrails thinking about being destructive or wanting to test police and society, they simply take a creative approach to a city most people just pass by or would never think about.

However, every BMX rider and skater understands what they are doing is illegal, maybe there is a bit of fun or a rush involved, but the majority of us really don’t want to get in trouble. Nor do we want to be considered a bad element of society.

This weekend ESPN’s X Games will be held in downtownLos Angeles. Athletes from all over the world are competing for what many regard as the Superbowl trophy of our sports. The four day event draws thousands of people to the Staples Center, many just looking for a brutal crash or people acting “extreme.”

For me, it’s a time where I can be proud of a sport that I have loved passionately since I was a child.

These sports depend solely on the individual’s love to progress and push themselves. I always loved that I never depended on a teammate or needed others to go out and ride my bike. Although I do enjoy the company of my friends, some of the best times riding have been by myself.

Next time you see a skater push by or a bike rider hop down a flight of stairs, remember the intentions of these athletes are not to be outcasts and criminals. We may not see giant sports arenas dedicated to weekly skateboarding competitions, but as these sports continue to grow we will see more skate parks and areas dedicated to these athletes.

I don’t believe these sports are for everyone, but I do believe we should have an area to ride or skate at in every park in every city.

Reach the columnist at Michael.g.hines@asu.edu

×