Basketball seeks higher attendance, fan support

Coach Herb Sendek hopes to have more fans in the student section at next year's basketball games. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

Coach Herb Sendek and three members of the ASU men’s basketball team held their first fan press conference Wednesday.

Sendek opened up by briefly introducing senior Carrick Felix, junior Jordan Bachynski, and sophomore Jahii Carson.

“We have a team that we can all be proud of and we can all cheer for,” Sendek said.

The event was then handed over to the fans, where the dominant question was about game attendance.

Multiple fans expressed fear that lack of attendance would lead to poor performance, causing ASU to have a tougher time recruiting players.

Sendek stressed the importance of attendance and the fans offered their solutions as well.

Some fans suggested free tickets for both college and younger students, while others expressed interest in package deals or incentives to travel to away games. The most common ideas, though, were getting the players out in the community and bringing friends to games.

“I’m asking all of you to get to know these players (and) bring your friends to the next game,” Sendek said.

All three players said they planned to do their part to network and get their school excited for the games.

“You’ll see me on campus and everywhere else talking to people (and) trying to sell tickets,” Felix said.

The fear of lacking attendance in the student section leading to hardships in recruiting was strong among the group of fans. Although Backynski suggested recruiting will be okay.

“First, I’d tell the recruits that the facilities are unmatched, and the showers are very tall,” Bachynski said. “The coaching staff is incredible and has the most drive. Also, I’d tell them about the atmosphere of the campus.”

The goal for next season is to have over 1,000 students in the student section, Sendek said.

“I served a mission for two years, it’s time for our fans to become ASU missionaries and recruit friends,” Bachynski said.

Aside from recruiting potential seat holders, the players had the opportunity to answer a few more personal questions.

One fan asked Felix what he saw as the biggest challenge for cohesiveness.

“We need to fight as one,” Felix said. “You can tell the difference in attitude with the players who decided to stay on the team and didn’t give up.”

Bachynski said he planned to put on 10 more pounds and gain as much strength as possible.

Reach the reporter at kaytranstrum.transtrum@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook.

×