Pitchforks: 5/5

Record Label: Disque Hives

The Hives are back. This time around, they are laying down the law of the land in this fading world of what is or should be embraced as rock.

The release of “Lex Hives,” a powerful and pounding 12-track album, is the band’s fifth endeavor to remind everyone of the truth. In short, as D.W. Johnson discovered in the mid-90s, “they were a universe unto themselves. They lived black and white in a world of color.”

Of course, the proof is in the pudding. “Come On!,” the album’s opening track has more punch than most full-length albums created by lesser bands. In around a minute, one losses count with how many times “Come On!” is screamed – daring you, the listener – to do just that.

To say that the ride slows down from there would be a gross representation of what The Hives do. “Go Right Ahead,” the album’s first released single, reminds us all to “find the bull and you grab the horns … / Our God is a Zilla, our King is a Kong. The room’s about to crumble as I burst into song.”

Going from A to Z is easy as “1000 Answers” keeps the raw, hypnotic wave of “Lex Hives” going, “answering” any and all questions you might still be having trouble with. “I’ve got a 1000 answers, on­e’s got to be right/ Give me a 1000 chances and I’ll get it right.”

For those who need or want more, “I Want More” should at least help clarify the difference between the two (needs and wants), and what comes from these desires. What it all means in fact, “A healthy appetite is good for one and all / and I should be at peace with the world baby, but still I want some more.”

Remember, The Hives “live black and white.” What they have is a simplified offering of the truth, as represented in their lyrics, music and view on life. As they say, you should be thanking them.

But in this world of perceived color, this simpler truth is often overlooked or forgotten. Nearing the midway point of the album, “Wait A Minute” comes in with lead singer Howlin’ Pelle Almqvist stating, “I try to listen. I can’t keep up / What was that y’all saying? It was much too fast … You say their lazy and no good / and they don’t do the things they should.”

Taking it a step further, he goes on to say however, “I can’t hear you ‘cause you’re fading out. I ain’t here to transform your fun and I ain’t trying to be a cop, but my head is stuck in the guillotine and the blade is about to drop.”

Books could be written on The Hives, and in the end it wouldn’t be enough. In all their black-and-white glory, we’ll always be mystified by what all The Hives send our way, proving again that “venom is served on the rocks.”

The Hives show no sign of letting up, and nor should they. With “These Spectacles Reveal The Nostalgics” where Pelle chants, “You all grew up on the radio, and all the moments that I missed … they are nothing compared to this … because we’re still here.” If that weren’t clear enough, “My Time Is Coming” helps make that point using the gift of The Hives of bringing light into moments of darkness.

With the albums release date set for June 5 in the US, look for the deluxe version which features bonus track or tracks produced by Queens of the Stone Age frontman Josh Homme. A strong case should be made regarding “Lex Hives” as one of the bands finest, arguably one of the year’s best as well. These are hives worth getting.

Reach the reporter at jbfortne@asu.edu

×