The 2012 Olympics are nearly upon us and after the electrifying performances seen from some of the world's best athletes in China four years ago, the pressure in London is on for these incredibly talented stars.

Undoubtedly, the performance seen from Michael Phelps stole the show in Beijing, when he set an Olympic record eight gold medals in a single Olympics. Phelps won't be attempting to break his own record, eliminating the 200-meter freestyle from his repertoire this year. But that doesn't mean he won't give his all in every other event he's in.

Another athlete who stole the show in 2008 was Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt. After becoming the first man to set world record times while winning the 100 and 200-meter dashes and 400-meter relay, the competition has taken note and one man in particular — Jamaican rival Yohan Blake — hopes to shatter the records Bolt set four years ago.

Last, but not least, we have the U.S. men's basketball squad. Highlighted by names such as LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Kevin Durant, it's uncertain whether this year's supporting cast will be able to carry USA to the gold medal again. There are several untested players who could have a huge effect — positive or negative — on this year's run to glory, including rookie Anthony Davis and ASU alumnus James Harden.

No matter the outcome of the events, from July 27 to Aug. 12, the world will be enthralled by watching the best athletes in the world compete head to head.

×