Armstrong's cancer fight shouldn't be discredited

The news about Lance Armstrong and the sanctions ruled against him was astonishing.

But it was not surprising.

For a long time, there has been speculation whether the seven-time Tour de France winner had been blood doping or using performance-enhancing drugs.

Armstrong did not deserve those titles because of what he did, and he will forever have an asterisk next to his name in the record books.

But in my opinion, Armstrong should not have any asterisk in the medial books. The cyclist is a champion and a hall of famer when it comes to standing up to cancer.

He not only won his race against cancer, but he also raised tons of money for research that will help cancer patients in the future.

He turned a simple color and wristband into a national trend and sign against cancer.

When the Livestrong bands came out, everyone that you knew was wearing them to show support for cancer research.

Today, Armstrong’s athletic career is over and he will never be looked at the same.

Nevertheless, when you think of Armstrong, think not of the yellow shirt he did not deserve, but the yellow wristband that changed the world.

×